April 2012 Preliminary Minutes and Tech Bulletin

The VWs have two throttle body sizes. The smaller 2 barrel is on the 1.5, 1.6, 1.7 and the bigger 2 barrel is on the 1.8s. The 2.0 in FP uses a single barrel. I will look and find out what the sizes are.
The level 1 1.5s would be way to fast for HP.
Chuck Mathis

c mathis":17v26ihk said:
The VWs have two throttle body sizes. The smaller 2 barrel is on the 1.5, 1.6, 1.7 and the bigger 2 barrel is on the 1.8s. The 2.0 in FP uses a single barrel. I will look and find out what the sizes are.
The level 1 1.5s would be way to fast for HP.
Chuck Mathis

2.0 is a totally different car, right?

Good point re the throttle bodies, would need to be called out vs displacement, as in fact would the valve sizes, 1.8 vs smaller.

You know more about the 1.5s than I, for sure. What sort of power can they make? I was thinking a BIG weight increase, roughly to where the 1.8s are in H.

Cheers,

Al Seim

The 2.0 is the Golf 3 that we gave some cam and compression earlyier this year.
We are trying to gather the throttle body info for all FI cars and list them on the spec lines. If anybody sizing for their cars other than VWs let me know. My son has a spread sheet started.
A good Level 1 1.5 will make more power than a Level 2 1.8.
Chuck Mathis

c mathis":1y6gvmgd said:
We are trying to gather the throttle body info for all FI cars and list them on the spec lines. If anybody sizing for their cars other than VWs let me know. My son has a spread sheet started.
Chuck Mathis

Even with the small valves???

Mark

Mark, great question.....
And I also have to start looking for one of those bigger throttle bodies...
BC

I don't have my dyno sheets in front of me but I think I made more power in GP trim than Albin does in HP but not as much torque. I have tried both throttle bodies and I didn't see any difference.
Chuck

c mathis":7wiylpkf said:
Chuck Mathis

Chuck,

How are you measuring the throttle body size? Are you just using the X/Y measurement of the butterfly (some butterflies may truly be oval in shape) or do you want the X/Y measurement of the throttle body bore at the cross shaft area. I did a quick check and all the factory manuals I have for my car do not list any throttle body specs beyond clearances for the butterfly.

We will measure at the throttle plate. I don't know of any throttle body that is not round. I think we would measure in the X/Y but I will check with the Prod Committee. I am going to start a new post with the current list of what we have so you can verify what we do have is right and supply sizes to what we don't have.
Chuck Mathis

Back