A simple plan for the SCCA (especially Club Racing)

@Gary: I assume you are talking about our Toyota's, and while they are quicker than ever, I don't think they can run up front at RA. The Toyota is really good right now on a medium speed track, but with sustained high speeds it just does not have the legs to run down the front guys. It's not for a lack of trying, we got some really cool stuff this year with the trans, and Loyning found some power, but its a big car (relatively speaking).

@Curtis: It was not hard to get the Yaris up front, it just took a lot of time, money and rain. It never hurts that the old cars break a lot. :twisted: In a fair race with no attrition the Yaris would not be up front. But we never built the cars with the expectation of setting the class on its ear, it was a fun exercise for Toyota, and we are just along for the ride having fun.

I don't have an answer as to where the next crop of HP cars would come from, but I do hope we see more of the B segment cars make the jump. We had serious doubts about B-Spec catching on, which is one of the reasons we converted the 2012 Yaris to HP trim shortly after introducing it as a B-Spec car at SEMA - the other reason is we knew HP was way more fun. And based on this years SSC/B-Spec Runoffs entry count our concerns we were right, in 2011 there was one "B-Spec" trim car (Brian Bogert in a Yaris we brought) in the SSC race, now a year later the field has grown to two cars. :think: I think B-Spec works good as a Pro Racing concept, it is a really good value and Pro Racing has the ability to respond quickly to the adjustments these cars need from track to track, but as a Club class it is a lot of money to have the slowest car on the track. Most of the B-Spec cars have an approved HP VTS, and it would not take much effort to get the rest done.

Hopefully the early B-Spec adopters will get tired of carrying 200-400lbs of ballast and a restrictor plate in their 100hp cars, and they will join the Prod party.

I don't think HP will compete with STL for entries, the STL class formula just does not work well for the 1.5li or less cars, and the real old stuff is not allowed in. We looked long and hard at double dipping with the 2012 Yaris. Right now we could be competitive at Nationals in our area, but only because the class is made up of SM, once real STL cars show up we would be outgunned.

Back