2016 Runoffs Criteria

Not much difference to years past, but still no way to run a couple Majors and a couple of Divisionals. Gotta pick one path or the other.

Here in the Southwest Division, there's currently two Majors and three "Runoffs Eligible" Divisionals scheduled for 2016. That means there aren't enough Divisional events to meet the "Participate in a MINIMUM of 4 Runoffs Qualifier event weekends in a single Division" requirement to qualify via that route*, nor are there enough Majors to qualify via that route either, without having to travel outside of the Division (i.e. 10-14 hour drives). You also can't run the two Majors and the three Divisionals and become eligible either. I sure hope no one scratches their head as to why the participation numbers down here are so bad, or why I'm choosing to run my car out of Ohio next year.

*Two additional 2016 "Runoffs Eligible" Divisionals were already run here in the fall of 2015, so although it is theoretically possible to qualify via the Divisional path, not if you're just now realizing this and you didn't run any of those fall events.

Kevin, make your region of record in SEDiv. Unless RE's change it, we count two IN DIVISION Majors weekends along with two SECS weekends. We did this to help with the travel. Guys in S Florida don't have to travel all the way to NOLA/Atlanta or VIR and north drivers didn't have to travel to make a 3rd Majors. There was a push to use only SARRC races as alternate path, but SARRC Committee felt this would cheapen SARRC. We had 720 entries in SECS races last year so it was a viable stand alone series. Plus, we paid a total of $7000 travel money to drivers from series fund. Top EP driver got $560. Plus, all our SECS Champions get a jacket, a plaque and free meals at awards banquet.

FP Racer":12lx4ux1 said:
Kevin, make your region of record in SEDiv. Unless RE's change it, we count two IN DIVISION Majors weekends along with two SECS weekends. We did this to help with the travel. Guys in S Florida don't have to travel all the way to NOLA/Atlanta or VIR and north drivers didn't have to travel to make a 3rd Majors. There was a push to use only SARRC races as alternate path, but SARRC Committee felt this would cheapen SARRC. We had 720 entries in SECS races last year so it was a viable stand alone series. Plus, we paid a total of $7000 travel money to drivers from series fund. Top EP driver got $560. Plus, all our SECS Champions get a jacket, a plaque and free meals at awards banquet.

I've been told that Majors races *can* be given divisional points as well. I would suggest bringing this issue up to the SWDIV folks and see what can be done about possibly including the majors at MSRH in the divisional points. that would give those "near houston" another chance.
I'm not sure if all of that stuff has to be set in stone by beginning of season or not. Given the fact the finalized Majors dates were just announced, I think it might be possible to make it happen.

Closer for me to go to Mid-Ohio from Denver, than run Nola that's in my conference.

Once again the Colorado races will be small turnouts because it's closer for everyone to go out of conference than come to Colorado. It will be easy points and an almost guaranteed podium for everyone.

Mazda Jon":1007sfcq said:
Closer for me to go to Mid-Ohio from Denver, than run Nola that's in my conference.

Once again the Colorado races will be small turnouts because it's closer for everyone to go out of conference than come to Colorado. It will be easy points and an almost guaranteed podium for everyone.

I think it's as much the schedule and qualifying criteria as it is the distance that will send people out of conference. Why would anybody bother trying to stay in conference? Participation anywhere gets you the easiest invite. Out of conference not only saves tow miles but you might actually be able to keep your job, and have a little time to maintain the car between races. In addition to traveling to LA, CO, TX, OK, and MO to race, the first 5 Mid-States Majors weekends take place over only a 9 week period of time. What regular person can do that?

The transit to the Majors are killer IMHO. 5-8000 Miles .
I still like the majors pay 2or 3x points and the regional pay 1x points. No way anyone with a real job doing their own transport can afford to do this.

mike, you mean divisional not regional correct? I don't think every race in the country should count for points.

CharlieC":35o7vxq0 said:
mike, you mean divisional not regional correct? I don't think every race in the country should count for points.
Why not ? we now have a single license instead of the old regional/national license , be inclusive , some classes at the Runoffs are very sparse these days.

I may understand where you are going with this. And I fully understand that different parts of the country have much different demigraphics as far as amount of races and travel differances. There in lies the problem. What might work good in the mid-states might not work in the north east. We would have some 30 races to count points in if we used them all. All within 400 miles of each other, some on the same weekends. That to me is too much. Remember part of the reason the majors was started was because we needed to get a handle on too many national races.
Right now we have the divisional series in place and adding those to the majors would bring it to a reasonably amount IMO.

CharlieC":1ri7wj2c said:
I may understand where you are going with this. And I fully understand that different parts of the country have much different demigraphics as far as amount of races and travel differances. There in lies the problem. What might work good in the mid-states might not work in the north east. We would have some 30 races to count points in if we used them all. All within 400 miles of each other, some on the same weekends. That to me is too much. Remember part of the reason the majors was started was because we needed to get a handle on too many national races.
Right now we have the divisional series in place and adding those to the majors would bring it to a reasonably amount IMO.
.. And conversely, our fly-over states have the exact opposite problem. There's not enough divisional races scheduled between Jan and Sept to meet the requirements.

Back