prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Racing Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:50 pm 

So i just saw a shifter that basically turns an H pattern box into a sequential with only the addition of the shift mechanism - no mods to the transmission guts. Would it be legal? I read somewhere in the rules that shifter assemblies are open - or did i misread the section?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:20 pm 

Yes an H pattern could be converted to a sequential.
No it's not compliant in Prod.
Doesn't matter if it starts out as an H-pattern, its got to stay H-pattern with new shift mechanism

The allowance is straight cut gears, and maybe dogs, and maybe an extra gear.

GTs, prototypes, and some formula classes for sequential.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:16 am 

there are a couple versions but one that caught my eye is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jeiPbsi0lI
they are using it on a tremec transmission (t5, t56). Just looked interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:25 am 

Sequential shifting transmissions are prohibited.

I guess that means pulling in one direction for down shifts and another direction for upshifts are prohibited.

But if you had a back and forward shifter it would be legal. Like this stillway one. https://youtu.be/ZpLaUIRzBWw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:24 pm 

A sequential manual transmission (or sequential manual gearbox ) is a non-traditional type of manual transmission used on motorcycles and high-performance cars for auto racing , where gears are selected in order, and direct access to specific gears is not possible.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:56 pm 

Sequential Shifter Transmission:

A total waste of time, effort, and money except for the highest potential race car. No talent required and no fun to drive.
Just my $0.02.

john f

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:03 pm 

dakar318 wrote:
Sequential shifting transmissions are prohibited.

I guess that means pulling in one direction for down shifts and another direction for upshifts are prohibited.

But if you had a back and forward shifter it would be legal. Like this stillway one. https://youtu.be/ZpLaUIRzBWw

so this is interesting but no indication of how it works on the downshift but makes a good point on the dog boxes of missing gears and overrevving.

I think some are misconstruing the intent of the post. Its not to internally convert an h-pattern box to a sequential - that have done before for curiosity (was fun behind the 632 bbc in a 67 c10). The basis of all this was i have one of the new emco/mazda boxes in the car. great transmission - much better than the pbs i was running (i have 2 for sale :D ). but i have been caught missing shifts mid high speed corner and other places you dont want to hit the wrong gear. So its not a sequential - its a h pattern dog box. No changes to the box but the bremen shifter is a bolt on with a similar gate lock internals that move up and down in a more linear fashion than a standard shifter (albeit they are using it for a t5/t56/tremec). Can look up the provisional patent and see how it works (its an australian patent - never did search the us database as i found it there). The engineer in me was just wondering. Since i have the capability and some downtime (and a couple of cnc machines to help) i suppose ill explore making a cross between the 2 posted here and see if it really works in a true racing application (or at all).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:18 am 

dakar318 wrote:

My comment was aimed to this post ^.
David Dewhurst wrote:
A sequential manual transmission (or sequential manual gearbox ) is a non-traditional type of manual transmission used on motorcycles and high-performance cars for auto racing , where gears are selected in order, and direct access to specific gears is not possible.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:10 am 

Looks to me on that shifter that it's only for drag racing. You can start in first and just slam it forward and backwards, then reset to get back into first. That is NOT a sequential shifter or transmission in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:57 am 

My question is, in the video I don't view access to any gear like an H pattern is possible. From video, it doesn't appear one can shift from 1st directly to 4th or 3rd directly to 1st. Per the fact that direct access to any gear is not possible, therefore by definition, it's a sequential transmission. What am I missing?

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
F Prod #14