prodracing.com

Unofficial SCCA Production Car Racing Message Board
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: e / f miata question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:06 pm 

Ok so im getting started on building a new car for next year I have a 97 miata but want to go F instead of E. Can i just put a 1.6L in the 97 body and be legal? Also are the miatas competitive in E?

Post subject: Re: e / f miata question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:45 pm 

anviltester wrote:
Ok so im getting started on building a new car for next year I have a 97 miata but want to go F instead of E. Can i just put a 1.6L in the 97 body and be legal?

I say this in the most friendly manner. Please understand the SCCA GCR (General Competition Rules) and the PCS (Production Category Specifications) specifically. The spec line for a 1.6 Miata in F production calls for a 1990 to 1993 year car. The VIN stamped in the front firewall identifies the car. Dumping a 1.8 motor in a 90/93 car would not be following the spec line. Err, the rules.

anviltester wrote:
Also are the miatas competitive in E?

For a person building a race car one should know the current background of which cars are at the pointy end and which cars don't stand a chance in hell of winning. Go to the SCCA site, find the Runoffs event archives and view which cars have won the Runoffs classes the last few years.

Please understand the rules before you spend one dime on your car build. After the fact is way to late. From my observations a typical car that wouldn't stand a chance in hell of winning a national production car race would be the Ford Pinto that is classed in F production.

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:46 pm 

this isnt my first rodeo as ive built a couple of front runners in other classes. i just have been out of the scene for a couple of years to do other things. I know what results say but that doesnt show what is actually the best knife for the job all the time. So my questions are not naive, just another source for an answer to go on my list of people asked already. I have the car and cost of a build is not a problem. Just wondering, since this is the site for production only, what is the general opinion and some direct answers on my questions.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:47 am 

Well simple Runoffs numbers tell a lot. There are five entered in EP (out of 39...13%) and 17 entered in FP (out of 37....46%). A quick count has roughly the same number of marques (16) so the Miata has better representation in FP.

Dayle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:39 am 

Simple answer is NO. If you do that then it would not fit in F or E.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:43 am 

Here's your answer. In the last 7 years the first generation Miata has won a National Championship in both EP and FP. The cars are great in either class and very competitive. In EP, the Miata is not the power car, it is the handling car. In FP the Miata does everything very good for the class.
The other difference would be the engine prep. The EP car gets more allowance as an early generation limited prep car. You can do intake manifold porting, dry sump, and alternate rods. This means you rev the EP engine higher so the lifespan in between rebuilds is shorter and the engine costs more.

If you'd like more detail on what it takes to build a good Production Miata I'd be happy to email with you as well.

jesseprather34 at gmail dot com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:36 am 

Jesse, would not taking a '97 and putting 1.6 in it make it not fit E because of the right year but wrong motor. And not fit F because of the wrong year but right motor?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:06 am 

There are no VIN number requirements in Prod, so the only question is if the '97 tub is the "same" (taking into account body modifications allowed by the rules) as the 1.6 cars.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:49 am 

hpmowog wrote:
There are no VIN number requirements in Prod, so the only question is if the '97 tub is the "same" (taking into account body modifications allowed by the rules) as the 1.6 cars.

Both of those years are NA chassis, so effectively the same car - there are some small differences between years, but easily addressed during the build. Build it for EP since FP will be gone next year after GTL moves in. :twisted: Just kidding. Look at the area you want to compete in and see which one has the bigger filed to play with, then pick the class. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:06 am 

Guys, I understand the VIN is not required, I understand there are differences in the NA chassis. If I were to protest someone for whatever I'd use the vin number to identify the chassis as an early NA compared to a late NA. Provide someone didn't remove the fiewall stamped in number and made the chassis changes the car would still be not within the rules. Rules are rules, either play by the rules or play outside the black and white area. Your choice. :)

David Dewhurst
CenDiv Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14